Not everyone has something or a cause that is dear to their hearts and that's fine. If you do and you are in business, then share and show a bit of that in your business demeanour and activity.
As an individual I have always worn my heart on my sleeve. My working career has always found me getting involved in good citizenship programmes and organising fundraising events on a small and huge scale. It helps feed my soul in connecting people with people and creating fun and feel good moments for all involved. As an auto entrepreneur in France I have an opportunity to share a bit about me through elephants. I love elephants. They remind me of a deep soul.
I hosted a coffee morning this week for Elephant Haven at my house. For me, it's not just about raising money. It's about having people in the room. People sharing conversations, exchanging 'what do you dos' followed by business cards. It's about receiving one gem of information that I can pass forward to help develop the cause, however large or small. It's about people's joy at having a coffee morning to come to. Coffee and cake is serious business here in France. Imagine not having a Starbucks on every street corner. A coffee and cake morning is our 'Starbucks'. It's about working with other small businesses who are happy to help and get involved and making sure that they get the exposure they deserve.
As I said above, elephants remind me of deep souls. Every time I receive a message or an elephant trinket from others, I get a glimpse into another persons soul.
So what are the benefits of including a social cause to your business?
- People get to know what you are passionate about.
- People like to see businesses with a caring side to them.
- It helps bring other businesses together.
- Strengthens ties in your local community.
- Increases awareness of that social cause.
- Small business, big impact. Collectively the sum of all small activity can ultimately have a big impact.
- The weaving of knowledge and information - you never know who others know and how they can help.
- It's not always about money. Support can be given in many other ways: knowledge, expertise, use of business skills.
- Feel good factor and fun. Every business needs that!
Finally, if you love elephants and want to see elephants enjoying their final years in a retirement home in the Limousin, please visit Elephant Haven.