A continuous mix of activity throughout the year lets people know you are still there, still contactable, still in on the market for business. Some industries such as construction tend to enjoy work scheduled onto a work calendar months into the year. This doesn't mean you shouldn't be promoting your business, you should. Other industries such as retail and food rely on immediate sales and footfall and therefore need to be constantly promoting their business.
Use this January to up your game and apply these tips which are not just useful for January but each month too. Even if you do just one or two of these activities each month, they help keep your business star burning brightly and the funnel of enquiries coming in. It is easy to say I'm busy, or I don't have time or I don't need to at the moment. But time has a habit of flying by very quickly.
- Get out there! If you are part of a network - make yourself visible – talk to new people. You are the face for your business – make sure it is seen. Never underestimate the power of your network who are able to talk about you in ever increasing circles.
- Talk to other business owners. Share ideas. How do they get past the quiet times? What can you learn here?
- Don't overlook the use of email marketing. Get in touch with current and past clients. You never know, they may need new work. Use it to introduce new products and services provide exclusivity to your best customers.
- Get rid of those business cards by that I mean give them out! leave them in strategic spaces and places. Hand them out to friends, family, existing customers. Let them know your are available to speak to potential new clients.
- Get some advertising – think long term. An ad in your local magazine for a year means you have promotional activity on the go without having to think about it – other than to update your message. Think of creative ways of appealing to new and existing customers.
- Your social media requires constant attention. Don't just use your Facebook business page or any other platform for when things go quiet – it should be kept busy during your busiest times too. Think carefully what you use.... social media is a drainer of time. Be sure that your potential clients are there before committing. Get creative with your content.